Turner v. NAPH Care Inc

Filing 5

ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE OR AMEND, signed by Magistrate Judge David W. Christel. Plaintiff's amended complaint or show cause response due by 8/25/2017. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Amended Complaint (blank), # 2 Pro Se Instruction Form, # 3 Address List (blank))(CMG)(cc mailed to Plaintiff w/forms)

Download PDF
U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON  Instructions to a Prisoner Pro Se Plaintiff    Your  suit  was  filed  and  has  been  assigned  case  number  C17‐5522BHS/DWC.  These  instructions  do  not  include  everything you need to know to pursue your case, but following them may help you avoid common mistakes.    Filing  and  Serving  Generally  ‐  After  a  defendant  has  been  served  your  complaint,  you  must  serve  a  copy  of  all  other  documents  and  motions  you  file  with  the Court on  the attorney  for  defendant  or  on  the  defendant  if  the  defendant is pro se).  You can serve your papers by mail (or as otherwise authorized by Rule 5 of the Federal Rules  of Civil Procedure).  All documents and motions you file must contain a Certificate of Service reflecting that you  served the defendant.  This is an example of language you may use:    I  hereby  certify  that  on  [insert  date],  I  forwarded  a  copy  of  the  foregoing  document  to  [insert  name  of  defendant’s attorney or pro se defendant], at the address of [insert mailing address].      [Signature]    If you want a file‐stamped copy of the document you filed with the Court, submit the original, and an extra copy to  be returned to you. The clerk cannot make copies for you unless you first pay a fee of 50 cents per page.      You  must  type  or  legibly  handwrite  your  documents  on  one  side  of  numbered  pages.  Any  exhibit  or  discovery  material attached to the filing must be referred to in the filing.  Any exhibit or discovery material not referred to in  your filing or not attached to your filing may be returned to you.    You  must  remove  certain  personal  identifying  information  in  all  papers  filed  with  the  Court,  including:    dates  of  birth, names of minor children, and social security, financial account, passport, and driver license numbers.    Filing Motions ‐ If you want the Court to take an action, you must file a written motion stating what you want the  Court to do, provide your reasons for the action, and serve a copy of your motion on defendant or defendant’s  attorney.    Place  the  title  of  your  motion  in  the  caption  along  with  a  noting  date  for  the  Court  to  review  your  motion:     Note these motions for the day they are filed:  (1) stipulated, agreed, and joint submissions; (2)  request for over‐length pleading; (3) reconsideration; (4) default;    Note  these  motions  three  Fridays  after  filing:    (1)  other  non‐dispositive  motions;  (2)  relief  from  deadline;  (3)  protective  order;  (4)  seal;  (5)  default  (where  opposing  party  has  appeared);  (6)  to  compel discovery; (7) quash.   Note  these  motions  four  Fridays  after  filing:    (1)  dispositive  motions  (dismissal  and  summary  judgment); (2) preliminary injunctions.    Change of Address – You must inform the Court and opposing parties promptly if you change your address.  If you  fail to do so, your case may be dismissed.    Discovery  Materials  ‐  Do  not  file  discovery  materials  (i.e.,  interrogatories,  requests  for  production  and/or  admissions).    If  you  file  a  motion  to  compel  discovery,  you  may  attach  only  the  portions  of  discovery  that  are  relevant to your motion.    Questions About Your Case ‐ Do not write letters to the District Judge or Magistrate Judge asking questions about  your case ‐ all communication with the Court should be through motions.  Do not write letters to the Clerk asking  for instructions on how to handle your case as the Clerk is prohibited from giving legal advice.    Lack  of  Action  ‐  It  is  important  that  you  take  action  after  you  start  your  lawsuit.    If  more  than  one  year  passes  without any activity, the Court may dismiss your case for lack of prosecution. 

Disclaimer: Justia Dockets & Filings provides public litigation records from the federal appellate and district courts. These filings and docket sheets should not be considered findings of fact or liability, nor do they necessarily reflect the view of Justia.

Why Is My Information Online?